Medical FAQs

What do I do if I am late for my appointment?

We offer a 10 minute grace period. If you expect to be later than this, please contact our office for options. Please arrive 20 minutes early for your visit if possible to allow time for the registration process.

How do I register for the portal?

You will need to provide us with an email address. We will then provide you a link that will allow you to complete registration.

How do I access my portal?

Visit our website and click the “Patient Portal” in the top right hand side of screen. Please note that you must first be registered for the portal via an email link.

What are the acceptable forms of “proof of income”?

We accept the following proof of income documents:

  • Bank statements
  • Tax documents
  • Social Security or disability (SSI) Payments award letter(s) showing amount
  • Unemployment benefits award letter(s) showing amount
  • Food stamp (SNAP) benefits statement/letter
  • Letter of support (if no income and supported by someone else)
  • Employer income verification letter
  • For pediatric patients, a Household Application for Free and Reduced Price School Meals form, if certified by the school
  • Documentation for other income as described in the Sliding Fee Application
How many days of “proof of income” do I have to provide?

We need documents from the 30 days prior to your visit (for unemployment benefits, a food stamp letter, a social security letter, or a disability letter, the prior 60 days is appropriate).

What happens if I don’t provide those proof of income documents?

Without those documents we cannot issue you a discounted rate for the visit. We are required to obtain these proofs of income as a Federally Qualified Health Center. If you have any questions about this please call 205-380-9455, we want to help you in this process.

How often do I need to update my proof of income documents?

At least yearly, or when your household size or income changes.

What if I have a visit but no proof of income documents?

Please contact us and we will help you get the documents you need for the visit.

What if I just started working/receiving income and I don’t have 30 days of documentation?

We will take the documents you have and give you another 30 days to provide the remainder of the documentation.

Can I register more than 2 children in one day?

We do have options for sibling appointments. The maximum to be seen at one time is 2. If you have more than 2 children, please call our office and we will do our best to accommodate you.

What insurances do you accept?

We accept all major insurances except Viva UAB plans. We do accept other Viva plans. If you have Viva insurance, please confirm with your insurance company and our scheduling team that your plan is accepted at Christ Health.

What should I bring to my appointment?

We need your ID and insurance cards available at the time of the appointment. If you are registering for our sliding fee scale (which is an income based program) we will need your proof of income and ID.

How early should I arrive to my appointment?

Please arrive 20 minutes prior to your appointment.

I am new to CHC. Will I need to fill out new forms?

Yes, we will inform you of the process upon scheduling your appointment.

Will someone call me to remind me about my scheduled appointment?

We do call and/or text patients to remind them of appointments. We also send out text messages that include the online pre-registration link.

Is there a NO SHOW policy?

Yes. If you have a scheduled appointment and do not call before the appointment and let us know to cancel or reschedule, this is considered a No-Show. After 3 No-Shows in one calendar year, you are no longer allowed to schedule an appointment. You must walk in and be placed on our standby list and we will work you in as we have availability that day.

Can I access my medical information online?

You can access some of your information through your online portal. If you need your medical records, we will need a medical records request. Please call our office for more information.

What do I do if I run out of medications?

Please call our office to speak with a refill nurse, and we will assist you.

Mental Health/Live Oaks FAQs

Why would I need a referral from my primary care provider?

Most insurances require a referral, and we need to communicate with your primary care provider in order to provide you with the best possible care.

Do you perform psychiatric evaluations for DHR, Disability, or other court related issues?

No we do not. We are a clinical mental health office.

Can I make an appointment before you get my intake paperwork back?

In order to make your first appointment as productive as possible we ask that you have the paperwork filled out before making an appointment.

Can you see if my insurance covers a visit at Live Oaks?

It is always best if you contact your insurance provider to determine your benefits and copays/deductibles.

Do I have to be a patient of the medical clinic to get an appointment?

We can accommodate a limited number of outside referrals.

Pharmacy FAQs

What insurances do you accept?

All Medicare part D plans except Humana and all private insurance except Cigna and Humana.

What are the hours of operation for the Pharmacy?

8:30 am to 12:30 pm and 1:30 pm to 5:30 pm.

When are you closed for lunch?

12:30 pm to 1:30 pm.

Does Christ Health pharmacy provide diabetes testing supplies?

Yes, for uninsured, privately insurance and some Medicare part D patients. No for Alabama Medicaid patients.

Does Christ Health pharmacy provide Durable Medical Equipment (DME), ie Oxygen, nebulizer machines?

No, unfortunately we don't.